Art- Creativity and sewing




It has been a bit since my last post.  What have I been doing?
Well....I have become a student of the sewing machine and what it can do.
Now, I am seem to be a little bit of a creative wild child, I am not surprised by this fact, but I am learning to live with my artistic self and respect it.  What does this mean?  I seem to first test the boundaries of a technique before I can settle into creating something that has creative order.  Sewing has creative order.  You sew two pieces together, then sew a third and fourth, and so on.  If you try and sew things out of sequence, well, it might not work, or you might be making life a lot harder than you need to.

I am also learning my quilting style.  There are so many different styles of quilting and within each noted category, there are many different looks dependent on the fabrics chosen, size of the fabric cut, and the arrangement the fabric.  Quilting today is different than it was in the past.  We do not quilt out of necessity, we quilt out of want, which makes the options endless and a little overwhelming.  How does a person choose what and how to start?

This is an open-ended question.  How a person starts depends on the person.  Quilting is an art form, one in which creative order is the primary thought....at least from my perspective.  
SO, where did I start?


The wild artist child inside myself first wants to know WHY you do something.  It is not enough to know that something is the right way, I have to know WHY it is the right way and what happens when you don't do it the right way.  So, I started by sewing strips of fabric together, enjoying the feeling of sewing, the sensation of fabric being pulled through the sewing machine, watching how the thread moves through the needle and connect with the thread coming up from the bobbin to create a stitch.  It feels so good to sew fabric together, you feel like something is accomplished..... and who doesn't like to feel like they have accomplished something.

Here is a picture of my sewing strips together.

This was a gift for a beautiful artistic woman as a bridal shower gift.  I wanted it to have a free-form feel that was interesting and beautiful.  Something that would fit with her decorating style.  I loved how it turned out.

There is a deep love for sparkly things in my heart (started when I was young and has never stopped) so there is lovely Razzle Dazzle thread by Ricky Tims couched on this table topper.

From this perspective, you can also see a secondary design that was created by my free-motion machine quilting.  That is my favorite thing to do.  I am hooked because it is drawing with a sewing machine.


Here is another example free-motion stitching:


Can you see which is fabric and which is thread?  The white floral design is free-motion sewing.  
The black and white fabric is a part of Tattoo (one of the lines that I designed) and the orange fabric is by Stephanie Brandenburg (fabric line called Daydreams).

How do you do free-motion sewing?  You drop your feed dogs put on a circular foot... and ZOOM baby ZOOM!!!!  SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!  It makes my wild heart dance with happiness.

How about you?  Do you have a hobby that makes your heart dance with happiness?  Perhaps there is creativity that is trapped inside of you begging to be released.  Don't wait to let it out.  Take time today to play.  It makes life a little brighter and more fulfilling.... I promise.
Thank you for sharing your day with me!
Sincerely,
Melissa Marie Collins
















Comments

  1. Wow! The Razzle Dazzle bridal shower gift looks great (much better than the cellphone photo I got). Such an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts