Life- The Beginning

Whooee!!  I have FINALLY done it!  Yep!  I am BLOGGING!!!

So, how do I begin?  I suppose I should talk about me?  Life?  My perspectives? Hmmmnnn......

Well, life is an interesting journey.  This past year has been full of twists and turns.  As I come to the end of 2010 I look back and think....... WOW!  It is ending so very different than how it started.

At the start of 2010 I was managing a Lingerie Department, and let me tell you I was a marvelous bra fitter.  I had never dreamed that I would have this skill and if you would have told me when I was young that I would grow up and fit women into bras I would have thought you were crazy.  However, I have never worked a job that people were so grateful for my help.  The gratitude I received in those years was an amazing experience, one I hope to never forget.

Now, here in December of 2010 I am having a very different experience.  I am now having the opportunity to use my artistic talent and creativity to design fabric for the quilt industry.  Yes, I am DESIGNING fabric!!!!!!  I am a FABRIC DESIGNER.  Isn't that exciting?!?!  Well, I think so! 

So, what does this mean?  How did this happen?

Well.... my  life had a HAPPENING!

For some time now I have dreaming about seeing my painting made into fabric.  It wasn't something I talked about much with the world around me, however, it was a dream that lived inside of me. 

This past February I was sharing what I had been keeping inside of me with my mom and she mentioned that her friend had a friend that designed fabric and perhaps I could meet her.  SO, in March I met a beautiful artist named Stephanie Brandenburg. 

When we met I thought that I was going to hear about fabric design and how Stephanie got into it, but instead, I found that she had recently become the art director of Camelot Cottons (a company out of Montreal Canada that produces fabric for the quilt industry) and she was looking for artists who did drawings by hand to launch what she calls "Art Fabric".  The goal was to produce cutting edge designs that contain a hand-drawn quality.  When I shared with her my portfolio a week later, she agreed to give me the opportunity to design fabric.  I was ecstatic!

For the next couple months I drew and painted as if my life depended on it!  When I got off work, I would start drawing and continue until I fell asleep.  I spent so much time being creative that I was almost oblivious to the outside world.  My husband (Mr. Handsome) was kind and gracious during this season.  Now, if I was spending so much time being creative, what wasn't I doing?  I stopped cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry.  Poor guy, he did his part and mine!  Luckily, he understood and supported me.

So, in May we went to the International Quilt Market in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  Camelot was "testing" the market to see how people responded to the art fabric.  If they liked it, things would go to print.  If they didn't, well, it wouldn't go to print.  BUT.... the response was HUGE!!!!  People LOVED it!!!  Almost everything I designed went to print.  I was overwhelmed by this news and can hardly believe it!!!!

"Dreams do come true!" repeated over and over inside of me.

Dreams do come true!!!!

There is more to this story of course, but I will save it for another day.

Comments

  1. Melissa, this is a wonderful beginning to what I know will be an amazing blog spot. Your eye for design and art is truly incredible. I look at your art and it gives me a warm but exciting feeling inside. I wish I had more time to sew because I know I would make wonderful clothes with the material. I predict this blog will take off wildly just like your designs. The spotlight is on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can hear the excitement and buzz in your voice. Gratitude and enthusiasm at its best....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts